Summer is finally here! And we at Crafty Nectar have been scouring the internet for new and exciting summery twists on our favourite tipple. So we’re excited to present to you, our top 8 Cider Cocktails!
We start with a twist on possibly one of the most famous cocktails around, The Margarita…
Apple Cider Margarita
- 6 ounces apple cider
- 4 ounces Hornitos Black Barrel Tequila
- 1 ounce Ginger Simple Syrup (I have a bottle from World Market but you can make your own by combining 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cut sugar and a thumb size of ginger grated in a saucepan. Bring to boil until sugar dissolves and let sit until completely cool. Strain and discard ginger)
- 1 ounce Orange Liqueur
Apple Slice for Garnish
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar on a shallow plate.
- Dip the edge of glasses into apple cider and then dip into the cinnamon sugar to rim the edges of the glass. Fill the glasses with ice.
- To Make the Cocktail:
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the apple cider, tequila, ginger simple syrup and orange liqueur. Shake until chilled. Strain into ice filled glasses.
Garnish with an apple slice.
- 2 ounces gold rum
- 6 ounces hard cider
Fill a rocks glass with ice. Pour the rum over the ice and stir gently. Pour the cider on top of the rum. Combine with a quick stir and serve.
Orchard Mimosa Recipe
- 3 ounces freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 ounces extra-dry hard cider (sparkling, not still)
- 1 teaspoon Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur (optional)
Garnish: Small orange wedge
1)Before building the cocktail, make sure the orange juice and cider are both well chilled.
2) Pour three ounces of orange juice into Champagne flute. Add ginger liqueur to the orange juice and stir well.
3) Tilt the flute on an angle and fill with cider. Gently stir, garnish with orange wedge, and serve immediately.
Cider Sangria Recipe
- 8 ounces ice cider
- 4 ounces Grand Marnier
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- 1 orange, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 2 cups sliced cantaloupe
- 2 cups sliced honeydew
- 1/2 inch ginger root, peeled but not sliced
- 1 750ml bottle semi-dry cider
1)Combine all sliced fruit, ginger root, ice cider, and Grand Marnier in mason jar or other resealable container. Refrigerate for two hours.
2)After two hours, remove and discard the ginger root. Pour the fruit and alcohol mixture into a pitcher. Add 2 cups of ice to mixture.
3)Slowly pour semi-dry cider into pitcher and gently stir to combine. Serve in wine glasses.
Cider Rum Punch
- 8 ounces dark rum
- 3 ounces lemon juice
- 4 ounces thyme simple syrup
- 12 ounces apple cider
- 4 ounces water
- 4 ounces club soda
- 8 dashed of Angostura Bitters
- sprigs of thyme, garnish
- apple wheels, garnish
- To make thyme simple syrup, combine 2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 cups of water and 6 thyme sprigs in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring up to a boil and reduce to simmer, until the sugar has fully dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and place the syrup in the fridge to cool.
- Place all the ingredients in a large picture or carafe with ice and stir.
- Fill your glasses with crushed ice and fill. Place a sprig of thyme inside and put an apple wheel on the rim.
Cranberry Apple Cider Cocktail Recipe
YIELD: 1 cocktail
2 ounces cranberry juice
1 ounce fresh squeezed orange juice, strained
1 ounce vodka
1 bottle hard cider, chilled (I used Angry Orchard Apple Ginger)
apple slice for garnish
Fill glass and cocktail shaker with ice. Add cranberry juice, orange juice and vodka to the cocktail shaker and shake until chilled. Strain into ice filled glass. Top off the glass with the hard cider and garnish with apple slice. Sip and enjoy!
SERVINGS: MAKES 2
- 3 tablespoons gold rum
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup (preferably Grade B)
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Ice cubes
2 thin apple slices
Combine first 5 ingredients in cocktail shaker; fill with ice. Cover and shake vigorously until cold. Strain into 2 coupe glasses. Cut slit in each apple slice and attach to rim of each glass.
BOURBON APPLE CIDER
- 4 oz apple cider
- 2 oz bourbon
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- orange wedge
- rosemary sprig
- Begin by combining the cinnamon and sugar together on a plate.
- Run the orange wedge around the edge of your cocktail glass. Set the rim of the glass in the cinnamon and sugar then fill the glass with ice.
- In a shaker filled with ice, combine the cider and bourbon and stir to combine. Strain into your ice filled glass.
- Garnish with the orange slice and rosemary sprig.